The Town of Emmitsburg was founded 1786.  Living about two miles west of Emmitsburg in 1786, was an Irish immigrant, William Moreland and his wife, who were linen weavers. Records show that as early as 1768, Mr. Moreland was so impressed by the Gospel Truth that he consecrated himself to the good work of gathering in his neighbors and instructing them in this Truth. Thus, he was called a local preacher. He held his meetings or "classes," as they were called then, in his home on Wednesdays and Sundays. His home became known as a preaching station.

On December 24, 1784, in Lovely Lane Meeting House in-Baltimore, the Christmas Conference consisting of 82 men, met and the Methodist Episcopal Church was formed.

As the Emmitsburg area continued to grow, Moreland felt the need for a church. According to the, Land Records of Frederick County, on April 1, 1805, William Mordland and Joseph Harvey bought Lot #53 for $24 from William Shields on which to build a church, but this was not accomplished. The Land Records also state:

"March 26, 1331 - From Jacob Winter to William Moreland, Joseph Crabbs, Richard Gilson, Colin Austin and Robert Crooks, Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States, at Emmitsburg, Lots #51 and #52 in Shields Addition for $120.11" (Real estate values had already begun to rise.)

These lots were in back of our present site and faced what is now Lincoln Avenue. On this lot, in the summer of 1833, was built a brick church known as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Emmitsburg. History has it that Reverend Moreland personally defrayed the entire expense of the construction. However, Reverend Moreland never lived to realize his dream.

One Sunday morning the following autumn, while in his gig on his way to fill an appointment at Tom's Creek, Reverend Moreland passed to his eternal reward. His horse was found standing by a fence. He was buried at the west corner of the church. His widow, also a linen weaver, then lived in the house directly across the street from our present place of worship until her death.

The church was completed through the efforts of the congregation and their neighbors, and was dedicated by Reverend Charles Young in December, 1833. Our congregation worshiped in the little brick church until 1897. In that year our congregation purchased a lot from the Byron 0. Donnel estates, now owned by Earl and Mary Gene Rice, and exchanged it with Jacob Smith for our present site where the present church was built.

The cornerstone, which is always set in the northeast corner of a building, is a white block to the right of the steps as you enter the church. It was laid on August 24, 1897, and contains a Bible, a hymn book, coins and newspapers. This was done with Masonic ceremonies by Lynch and Acacia Lodges of Frederick and Thurmont participating.

Over the years, many changes have taken place. During the summer of 1935, Trinity was closed for a time to enable extensive interior decorating and repairing to be done. At this time, an electric organ was presented to the church as a memorial by the Frailey family in honor of their father who died on March 26, 1932. Mr. Frailey was a life long member of the church, a member of the Official Board, as well as a Trustee for some fifty years, and for many years was the Superintendent of the Sunday School. In the mid 1950's, this organ was replaced with the present one.

Many people have helped to make the history and life of the Methodist Church. Two outstanding people were Mr. and Mrs. Francis Scott Key Matthews. Mr. Matthews owned a store across the street from the church where he sold home-made ice cream. Like all stores or buildings of that day, a large stove enjoyed a prominent spot and it was a gathering place for many.

The Official Board of the church held their meetings there to save heating the church. Not only was the business of the church transacted, but friendship, togetherness and ice cream made the Board meetings enjoyable.

In 1940, under the Program of Unification of the three branches of Methodism, namely, Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and Methodist Protestant, the Charter of Emmitsburg Methodist Episcopal Church was duly amended and the word "Episcopal" was deleted and the word "Trinity" was added. Hence the corporate name then became Trinity Methodist Church of Emmitsburg, Maryland. This Charter Amendment was completed on February 15, 1941.

In 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Churches were combined, assuming the name United Methodist, thus we are now Trinity United Methodist Church, Emmitsburg, Maryland.

Over the years many changes have taken place. The bulletin board on the front lawn, was given in 1959 by Rosanna Fuss in memory of her husband, Charles Fuss. The brass lights were installed in the arch of the window behind the choir loft in 1961.

Trinity was again closed for several weeks in 1963. A new heating system was installed. New electric wiring was done and a flood light and switch installed. New chandeliers were hung. The floor was sanded and varnished and red carpet was laid. The sanctuary was painted. Extensive repairs were made to the bell tower.

In 1965, the baptismal fount was made by Eugene Hardman and presented on behalf of his family. The stained glass windows are memorials given by loved ones. The large one in the Sunday school room facing the street was given by the Sunday school children who, for years, brought their nickels and dimes for this memorial. The large side windows were installed as memorials in 1965, as were the ones in the rear of the church.

The Reverend Martin Case had "Fill a Pew" night and Trinity overflowed with Christians. We had revival services. The sanctuary and front Sunday school room were filled and several people stood through the service. We look back with nostalgia upon these years.

In 1972, cabinets were installed in the kitchen, making it easier for the women when they had suppers. Our joy overflowed in 1973, when a full time minister, the Reverend Waltar Bowers came to the Emmitsburg-Tom's Creek Charge.

The altar Bible came to us in 1976 from Carolyn Frailey as a memorial to her husband, Thomas Frailey, and the green carpet in the front Sunday school room is in memory of Clarence Frailey.

In 1977, we started to honor the Golden Age Members, those who have been members of Trinity for fifty (50) years. Eight names have been inscribed on a plaque which is presently mounted near the Sunday school room at the rear of the sanctuary.

In 1978, the altar cloths were made and presented as a memorial to Rosanna Fuss. In 1981, the picture of Jesus knocking at the door, which hangs above the altar, was given by the Bernard Wivell family in memory of their son and brother, Michael. The green turf carpet on the front steps was also given by them.

In 1981 we decided we had to do something about the high cost of heating the sanctuary, so we installed an efficiency burner in the furnace. In 1982, the interior of the church was painted and the windows washed. The exterior of the church was done in the fall.

The Parsonage

In 1965, the Catoctin Charge of four churches was informed that it would be separated. The Thurmont Church and the Catoctin Church would comprise the Thurmont Charge and Trinity Church and Tom's Creek Church would be known as the Emmitsburg-Tom's Creek Charge. This meant it would be necessary to secure a parsonage, furnish it and an office, too, which seemed an almost insurmountable task.

A special parsonage committee comprised of Robert Grimes., Ambrose Eckenrode and Jones Baker from Tom's Creek church and Ralph Lindsey and Charles Brauer from Trinity were appointed. The Committee looked at several houses in town, including the Gauss home, as a possible parsonage. They also looked at several pieces of land on which a parsonage could be built.

On February 13, 1966, the committee decided to have the District Committee on parsonage and Location come to Emmitsburg and look over the sites the committee had chosen. The approval Of District Superintendent Raymond Roderick was also sought.

On March 13, 1966, a Congregational meeting was held and the following recommendation was presented:

"After numerous meetings and considerable discussion, your committee has decided it would be best to purchase a lot and build a parsonage. The District Superintendent, together with Parsonage and the Committee on Location, have approved a lot in Emmit Gardens. This will be purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Luther Cregger for $1,100. It is estimated the total cost of the parsonage, including lot, building and furniture will be $22,000. We will have $6,000 as our share of the Thurmont parsonage and $1,000 from the District Missionary Fund. The rest will have to be raised by donations or borrowed from the bank and then repaid."

Upon a motion by Mildred Elliott and seconded by Francis S.K. Matthews, the recommendation was approved by a vote of 28 to 1. It was decided the cost of parsonage, furnishings, etc., to be divided equally between the two congregations.

On March 9, the committee met and engaged Mr. Frederick J. Bower, an attorney, to do the legal work. The committee was incorporated and empowered to borrow funds to build the parsonage.

On March 17, 1966, Mr. Charles Eyler was engaged as contractor. It was decided a building 421 X 26, of brick veneer, full basement containing a study of 121 X 121 and half bath. The first floor will consist of five rooms, a full bath, guest closet and a fire place. The kitchen will contain a built-in stove, refrigerator, and cabinets. There is to be a carport and a blacktop driveway. Cost - $18,600. Ground was broken the last Sunday in March, 1966. The parsonage was finished in October and King and Selina Duncan moved in.

Over the years, repairs have been made to the parsonage. In June, 1980, it was completely refurbished. All rooms were painted, new linoleum was laid in the kitchen and bathroom and wall to wall carpet was put down in the living room and hall. In 1982, the basement room was made into a sitting room. A dropped ceiling and recessed lights, heaters and carpet were installed. Board meetings are now held there in the winter to save fuel at the churches.

Read the history's of other churches in Emmitsburg